Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Kick-off of the 54th AD Republican Blog

Welcome to the first posting of my New Year's resolution - communicating as openly as possible to the many dedicated Republicans working hard throughout the 54th Assembly District to get our local candidates elected. I look forward to continuing the great strides we made in 2007 to begin implementing the state-wide strategy of getting our party central committee involved in local races and local issues. Many will question this "amking partisan what has been non-partisan", but my simple answer is that the Democratic Party has been doing it for over 25 years. It's about time they had some true political competition, and we plan to take it to the next level here in this assembly district.

From election to the local neighborhood council to involvement in numerous campaigns over the past ten years, I look forward to continuing my proactive approach to community involvement and conservative activism through the 54th Republican Central Committee. I believe in getting past closed-minded positions and getting to the real issues of the district's concerns. Bad attitudes, false impressions and closed minds have no place in our communities or our party, and often result in special interests and our local officials ignoring the will of its citizens when creating their plans.

For example, I believe in good, smart development that contributes to and provides benefits for the surrounding community. Long Beach, Palos Verdes & San Pedro are ripe with opportunities for new business & new residences, but these should not add unnecessary burdens to those that came to this great district first. I'm also unsatisfied with the performance of our public schools in preparing our children for both college and their future careers. A pet peeve of mine is long-time residents of a community telling me "that's the way it's always been" about an issue or concern. I refuse to believe that when good neighbors like you believe issues impacting our community need to be addressed, and I want to make sure they are addressed.

In Los Angeles, the Mayor of Los Angeles discussed the fiscal dilemma of property tax revenues going down and the "need" to continue the illegally-created Telephone User's Tax. With a lack of fiscal discipline by most Los Angeles City Councilmembers, it's no wonder why. How many feel-good programs can be placed on the backs of Los Angeles taxpayers? Instead, our misguided City Council has taken a position to continue increasing taxes on the current tax base (and pray, I guess, that the existing base of taxpayers won't migrate their businesses and residential spending to neighboring cities.) Regardless of your political affiliation, are you more prone to buy your gas, groceries & clothing where you can save money? Don't you think this will extend to telephone and internet users as well? Why aren'y elected city council members required to complete an economics course that truly studies the affects of localized taxation?
I wanted to kick off this blog with some rantings on my mind, and to let you know that I look forward to flowing out information about opportunities to get politically involved & make a difference in 2008. Let me know if there are specific issues in our district that I need to focus on. It's all about bringing to light issues that the current group of "career politicians" hope we'll ignore. With your help, we'll continue to make them address these issues or ensure they are voted out of office!

Stamm I Am

No comments: